SALAMA – JAFFA DISTRICT
32°2′55″N / 34°48′18″E
1948: Population 7,807; Houses 1,692
Occupation date: April 29, 1948
Occupation forces: Alexandroni Brigade
Occupying operation: Operation Bi‛ur Ḥametz (“Passover Cleaning”)
Post 1948: In May 1948 the village was settled by Jews who had been displaced from Jaffa and south Tel Aviv. In 1949–50 new immigrants, particularly from Yemen, arrived as part of Operation Magic Carpet and settled on the land of the former village. In the following years, the name was changed to Kfar Shalem. In the 1970s the Tel Aviv municipality began evacuating the Jewish inhabitants in order to demolish the old houses and build new residential quarters for them.
Today: The village site is within the boundaries of Tel Aviv, with a portion extending within the city of Ramat Gan. Approximately ten of the houses remain and have been occupied by Israelis. The village schools, the cemetery, and the shuttered Shrine of Sayyidna Salama remain.
Official Israeli name: The Jewish neighborhood established on the village land is called Kfar Shalem. The site of the former village of Salama has no official name and does not appear on contemporary maps of Israel.