BEIT NATTIF – HEBRON DISTRICT
31°41′43″N / 34°59′46″E
1948: Population 2,494; Houses 323 (1931, including Khirbet Umm al-Rus)
Occupation date: October 22, 1948
Occupying forces: Fourth Battalion of the Harʼel Brigade
Occupying Operation: Operation Ha-Har (“The Mountain”)
Post 1948: After its occupation, the village was blown up by the Palmach, supposedly in retaliation for the murder of 35 soldiers from the Lamed-He unit in January 1948 (the murderers, it seems, were in fact from another village).18 In 1949 Kibbutz Netiv HaLamed-He was established by demobilized members of the Harʼel Brigade on village land. In 1958, the Avi‛ezer, Roglit, and Neve Michael moshavim were established on village land.
Today: There are no remaining structures; only rubble is strewn about the site. The city of Beit Shemesh, established in 1950, can be seen in the distance beyond the hills of the village and a new annex of the city now encroaches upon the land of the village.
Official Israeli name: Hurbat Beit Natif (lit., “Beit Natif Ruin”)