CITY OF JAFFA – JAFFA DISTRICT
32°2′12″N / 34°44′43″E
1948: Population 70,760 (1947)
Occupation date: May 12–14, 1948
Occupying forces: Haganah and Irgun
Occupying operation: Coastal clearing operation
Post 1948: After occupation most of Jaffa’s Arab section was blown up and bulldozed; only the al-‛Ajami neighborhood, the Old City–which was also partially destroyed, and small parts of al-Manshiyya neighborhood were spared. Most of Jaffa’s souks were obliterated. In 1954 Jaffa became part of Tel Aviv.
Today: Jaffa’s al-‛Ajami neighborhood is in the midst of gentrification. Jaffa’s Arab population currently numbers around 10,000 people.
Official Israeli name: Tel Aviv–Yafo