AL-LATRŪN – AL-RAMLA DISTRICT
31°49′52″N / 34°58′57″E
1948: Population 220; Houses 26
Occupation date: July 18, 1948
Occupying forces: Yiftach Brigade (unsuccessful)
Occupying operation: Operation Maccabi, Operation Bin Nun Alef, Operation Bin Nun Bet, Operation Yoram, Operation Dani, Operation Larlar (all mid-May to mid-July; all failed)
Post 1948: In 1949 the village residents moved to ‛Imwās, and al-Latrūn fell within the no-man’s land between Israel and Jordan; their houses remained empty until the occupation of the village by the Israeli army in 1967, during the Six-Day War. On the first day of the 1967 war, the Israeli army occupied the nearby West Bank villages of Yālu, ‛Imwās, and Beit Nūba, immediately destroying them. In 1969 the Neve Shalom/Wāḥat al-Salām (“Oasis of Peace”) cooperative village was founded for Jews and Palestinians (all Israeli citizens) on a portion of the village land that had been purchased by the nearby monastery.
Today: In the former village, only a small outcropping of rubble and several dilapidated walls remain. The rest has been completely demolished.
Official Israeli name: None