‛IMWĀS – AL-RAMLA DISTRICT
31°50′23″N / 34°59′26″E
1967: Population 1,955 (1961); Houses 224 (1931)
Occupation date: June 7, 1967
Occupation forces: Israeli Defense Force (IDF)
Occupation operation: N/A
Post 1967: In 1967, during the Six-Day War, Israel captured and annexed the Latrun salient. ‛Imwās, along with the villages of Yālu and Beit Nūba, was completely destroyed with explosives and bulldozers. In 1968, as a sign of Canadian–Israeli friendship, the JNF of Canada began work on the Canada Park. Built over 79,000 acres, the park was completed in 1984.
Today: None of the houses of the village remain and the land has been subsumed beneath the Canada Park. Two shrines—for Abu ‛Ubayda Ibn al-Jarraḥ and Mu‛ādh Ibn Jabal—and the nearby cemetery remain within the forest.
Official Israeli name: None. The former village of ‛Imwās is part of the Canada Park, also known as Ayalon Park.